Events for Teens at Flower Library
Stay busy with the library! Things look a little different right now because of the pandemic. Currently we’re offering take-home craft kits. Each kit comes with most of the supplies you’ll need as well as instructions on how to access a step-by-step video of project directions. Usually you’ll have the opportunity to laugh along with Ms. Ashley as she makes her own version of the week’s project. 🙂
Starting in June, we’ll also test out in-person programming by offering one event on the lawn per month! All applicable social distancing protocols will be followed at that time.
Summer Reading for Teens
The Teen Summer Reading Program is for ages 13 to 18! Participants do not have to live within the City of Watertown to take part.
Your job is to read, read, read! As you read, claim the hours to earn tickets. Tickets will be entered into a prize drawing of your choice. More on all of this in the options below…
You can read just about anything! Read for fun, read for school – it really doesn’t matter to us! We’re just happy that you’re reading. We do ask that you don’t count time spent on social media as reading. Everything else, including listening to an audiobook or reading a graphic novel, is fair game.
Also, you don’t have to read a book from Flower Library nor do you have to read a book written at a teen level for it to count. We’re flexible like that!
Like the winter of 2021, you have two options for claiming your reading:
- submitting your information through a Google Form, OR
- visiting the library and grabbing a paper postcard at the Circulation Desk. Once you fill this out, hand it to any staff member and they will get it to Ms. Ashley.
Please only do one option or the other each time you claim your reading! Also, it does work better for all of us involved if you periodically claim your hours rather than waiting until the end of the program.
The Google Form and paper postcard are designed so that you can choose which prize you’d like to try to win. Your options include:
In addition to those listed above, we’re also offering grand prizes in the form of the electronic variety, courtesy of Stewart’s Shops! All reading tickets will be entered automatically into the grand prize drawings by Ms. Ashley.
A couple of things to note:
- prizes cannot be mailed to winners.
- you may only win one prize, including the grand prizes. If a name is drawn twice, then Ms. Ashley will draw again.
Yes! It’s much easier if you do so periodically throughout the summer as opposed to waiting until right before the prize drawings.
Nope, there isn’t any registration for the 2021 Teen Summer Reading Program. Instead, you’ll be asked a few questions about yourself each time you complete a Form or postcard to help us keep track of statistics.
The Teen Summer Reading Program runs from June 1st to August 25th. This means that all reading must be claimed by the close of business on Wednesday, August 25th! And we close at 8pm on Wednesdays if you’re looking to submit a paper postcard. 🙂
Winners will be drawn at the Pizza and Prize Drawings event on Thursday, August 26th. It starts at 2pm. You don’t have to be present to win! Ms. Ashley will call you asap after the event is over. Also, this event is planned for outside, so if the weather is uncooperative an alternative plan will be posted on Facebook and Instagram.
Hey educators, are you looking for a Summer Reading 2021 flyer to share with your students? It’s here! You’re also welcome to access a promotional video via YouTube. Feel free to share both far and wide! If it doesn’t fit your needs, contact Ashley at email@example.com or 315-785-7714 for something that does.
Services for Teens at Flower Library
We have so much to offer you!
- Study space – you’re welcome to grab a table in the Teen Space. If you’re working on a group project or need a much quieter zone, consider calling the Reference Desk at 315-785-7714 to reserve a room.
- Computer access – you’ll need your library card for this one. Don’t have one? You can use a guest pass for a day or ask staff to create a new library card for you. Either way you’ll need photo ID if you have one, or your school ID. You can also grab a legal guardian and bring them along with you for this process.
- Printing and scanning – remember that you’ll need to prepay for printing. It’s $0.20/page for black and white, and $0.75/page for color.
- Search the catalog for materials.
- Download the Libby app, which allows you to borrow ebooks and eaudio books. You can get it in your app store.
- Access academic databases for school projects. These are open to all New York State residents! Contact a librarian at 315-785-7714 for help.
Read, Read, Read!
Meet Ms. Ashley
Hi! I’m your Teen Librarian. I’ve been a Librarian at Flower Library since 2010. I’m a local girl who grew up to love SNOW! My favorite library jobs are buying books and sharing them with you – it’s like a holiday every. single. time. When I’m not busy saving the world one story at a time, you can find me chasing my kids around with my husband.